How you can secure yourself from Cyber Attacks.
In all genres of life, cyber-technology has swiftly crept in, so much so that it’s almost impossible to name an area where humans are not dependent on it in one way or the other.
But as always, there are two sides to this story as well. While we can go on and on about the benefits of cyber-technology, the picture that the other side of the coin presents is rather fearsome. Unfortunately, the world has not been able to keep up with the pace of cyber development to provide equally good security measures which has brought the idea of cyber security on war footing.
Common Cyber Attacks:
- Worms make use of system vulnerabilities, attach themselves to a file and normally propagate over the internet.
- Trojans act as a basis of many viruses and worms. They can deceive the user with legitimate tasks while gathering information without the user’s knowledge.
- Replay authentication sequences can be captured and replayed after a valid authentication has taken place. It gives an adversary extra privileges.
- Masquerade is the way in which an adversary pretends to be someone else and the user communicates under the impression that they’re talking to the legitimate person.
- Modification can be achieved by an adversary when he intercepts an established connection between two or multiple users and modifies the message contents of User A before sending it to User B.
- Denial of Service (DoS) involves flooding the bandwidth of a targeted system and rendering the legitimate user unable to have access to the target system.
Cyber Security Upgrade Needed
The miscreants have found efficient ways of exploiting loopholes in the present technology to use it for their personal and illegal endeavors. With almost everything digitized now, especially most of money related matters, the availability and transfer of critical data (banking data, payment cards, government secret files etc.) over cloud-based softwares (public and/or private) puts the owner in great jeopardy, if an external breach occurs.
In light of previous events and the constant ever-present threat, it has been established as a fact that the current security mechanisms are inadequate. It’s safe to say that cyber security is on war footing, and it is the need of our time to increase our efforts on the defensive front.
Encryption and Tokenization are the Best Chance we have
The most common suggestion around the world to tackle this situation is to incorporate a time honored defensive battle strategy, which is a real life ‘battlefield’ strategy. Here you increase the radius around ground zero (critical information) and focus on guarding the perimeter. In computer terms, encryption and tokenization are our best bet by far.
A great study has been conducted on encryption techniques over the years, yielding high quality, computationally secure cipher models. Having said that, it should be kept in mind that users’ everyday operations must not be hindered in any way when these encryption standards are adopted. Since cyber security is on war footing, new strategies are required to be implemented every day to better previous achievements and provide better safety from external breaches.